Private Number Plates Sales Terms and Conditions
- The 'Company' referred to here is VRM Swansea (Vehicle Registration Marketing) Limited also trading in the name of Plates 4 less.
- In our business contracts the 'Purchaser' referred to is the person or organisation wishing to acquire the rights to a vehicle Registration Mark via the Company, either for themselves or another, in exchange for a monetary consideration. The Purchaser is the person who states they are placing the order and creates a contract with the Company. All subsequent communication will be between the Company and the Purchaser.
- Government Registration Mark holding certificates that mention the ‘Purchaser or Grantee’ describe other persons, as they are formed by separate contracts, more below.
- The 'Seller' referred to here is the person or organisation wishing to dispose of the rights to a Registration Mark.
- The 'Nominee' is the person or organisation to which a vehicle is already, or is to be, registered, as shown (or to be shown) on the vehicle's V5C registration document.
- The 'Cardholder' is the person or company to which a payment card has been issued and is personally named on that card.
- The 'Donor Vehicle' is the vehicle from which the Registration Mark is being Transferred. The 'Recipient vehicle' is the vehicle to which the Registration Mark is being Transferred or assigned. The 'Assignment' is the moving of the vehicle Registration Mark from an official Government holding certificate to a suitable vehicle.
- The 'Transfer' refers to the process of moving a vehicle Registration Mark between vehicles. ‘Retention’ refers to the process of moving a vehicle Registration Mark from a vehicle on to a DVLA holding certificate.
- DVLA is an acronym describing the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency which is the Government agency ultimately controlling these matters.
- The 'Registration Mark' is the unique letter and number combination issued and authorised by DVLA Swansea, which is to be displayed in order to identify the vehicle.
- The Company deals in the 'Rights to display' vehicle Registration Marks. These rights are the tradable commodities, which are ultimately controlled by the DVLA. DVLA official documents give control of rights to Registration Marks to the ‘Keeper’ of a vehicle whose name is printed on the V5C registration document, or the ‘Purchaser or Grantee’ named on a Registration Mark holding certificate.
- The Company agrees to provide these transferable rights in exchange for cleared funds, to the named person or entity chosen by our Purchaser. Once the original Purchaser has assigned or transferred this right to a suitable vehicle officially kept by that new person or entity (chosen by our Purchaser), then the keeper of that vehicle will have future control over that Registration Mark. This is in accordance with the rules and provisions of the DVLA Cherished Transfer Scheme.
- The 'Number or Licence Plates' are the physical plastic (acrylic) or metal plates which will be fixed to the vehicle displaying the Registration Mark.
- The 'DVLA Cherished Transfer Scheme' is the scheme, which the Government Department for Transport has created through the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, to allow the public to Transfer the rights to vehicle Registration Marks upon compliance with specific rules and payments of prescribed fees.
- The 'Government Fees' are fees payable to the DVLA for the Assignment, Retention and Transfer of vehicle Registration Marks. They do not presently attract VAT.
- The 'MoT' is the Ministry of Transport test to check a vehicle meets road safety and environmental standards. Vehicles registered in mainland UK require an MoT certificate once they are 3 years old, whilst cars and motorcycles registered in Northern Ireland require one once they are 4 years old.
Terms & Conditions
The jurisdiction of these terms and conditions is those enforceable by a court in England and Wales under English Law and applies to all business carried out by the Company.
The Company agrees to supply vehicle Registration Marks and ancillary products and services, subject to availability, value added tax (where applicable) and payment of Government fees, at all times.
Section A. Order process - Payments
- The Purchaser can place an offer to purchase the rights to a Registration Mark online or over the telephone. This offer must be accompanied by the total purchase price.
- The payment will guarantee that our office does not sell the Registration Mark to anyone else but it does not prevent the Seller selling the Registration Mark through another agency or withdrawing it from sale. The Transfer/Assignment cannot commence until full payment is received. The receipt of full payment is considered to form the basis of a binding agreement to proceed with the purchase.
- The Company cannot be held responsible for any disappointment or losses relating to the Seller declining offers to purchase, choosing to sell the Registration Mark more quickly elsewhere, or withdrawing it from sale for whatever reason. If the sale does not proceed for any reason of failure on the part of a Seller, then a full refund will be given.
- On receipt of your full payment we will act immediately and in good faith upon your instructions, which will include the provision of bespoke services, so the order cannot usually be cancelled or amended after this point. The payment is deemed to have been received when your credit or debit card payment has been authorised by our clearing bank or, in the case of a cheque or other payment method, when cleared funds reach our account. Final Transfers or Assignments will not be concluded by the Company until full payment is received.
- In the event that final balances are not received then the Company reserves the right to cancel the sale agreement and retain any deposit monies to cover administrative remarketing and ancillary costs. Overdue balances will be subject to interest charges at the rate we incur them from our bankers from the date of your order. Interest rates can vary and will be applied to your account on a daily basis. If the Purchaser fails to honour their contract to purchase, the Company reserves the right to pursue the Purchaser for their loss in administration costs and also profit, if the deposit is not sufficient to cover this.
- The Company accepts most modern and traditional methods of payment employing the highest level of security checking available. If the Company suspects that an order has been fraudulently placed then it reserves the right to cancel the order and inform the police without further notice.
Section B. Order process - Order details
- The Company takes offers for the rights to vehicle Registration Marks over the internet and on the telephone. The Company reserves the right to record all telephone conversations for security and training purposes and make copies of telephone conversations available to third parties at our discretion and upon payment of a fee (presently £36* Inc. VAT).
- Any information collected from the Purchaser, whether by the completion of an online form or by way of a telephone conversation, will be used in good faith to form the basis of a legally binding contract. It is therefore the sole responsibility of the Purchaser to provide accurate information when required to do so. The Company cannot be held responsible for costs incurred or losses due to inaccuracies or mistakes on the part of the Purchaser.
Purchasers are therefore advised not to place their order before being sure of the information they are providing and the services being ordered.
- The details given for the Keeper of the receiving vehicle must match the V5 vehicle registration document (logbook) details at the time of the Transfer or Assignment, for the Transfer or Assignment to succeed. If the Purchaser gives the Company the wrong Keeper details (during the order process) then they can be changed for free at the point of Transfer (Company signature is required), however if the purchaser wants a brand new certificate the Company will charge an administration fee of £30* (inc. VAT). Such changes can take up to 3 weeks to process by the Government.
- To avoid the risk of misunderstanding, our telephone advisors will always use the Standard English Phonetic Alphabet to pronounce the letters of Registration Marks so that they are not misunderstood. The Purchaser’s confirmation will be double checked and sought.
- In the case of credit or debit card payments if the Purchaser is not the Cardholder then confirmation of the Cardholder’s permission having been obtained to use their payment card will be requested and must be supplied in order to proceed.
Section C. Order process - distance selling
- Under the Consumer Contracts Regulations (formerly Distance Selling Regulations), the Company must inform all Purchasers that our service begins immediately upon a payment being taken. As we are supplying bespoke services and customised goods, no cooling off period or refunds are given as we enter into legally binding contracts with the DVLA, third parties and our number plate manufacturers on your behalf, which cannot be changed or cancelled.
- The Company cannot accept applications to cancel the purchase of pre-owned Registration Marks. If a Purchaser feels they have made an error and wishes to change their mind about the purchase of a pre-owned Registration Mark then normally the only remedy will be for them to instruct the Company to offer the Registration Mark for resale.
- Applications to cancel newly issued Registration Marks will be passed on to the DVLA for their consideration, but only if the request is submitted to us in writing and within 10 days of your initial purchase. All applications to cancel must be sent in writing directly to email@example.com. Upon receipt of a cancellation request we will send you a cancellation pack for completion and return. We will send you e-mail confirmation of receipt of your completed pack; however, it is the responsibility of the Purchaser to confirm safe receipt of the completed pack so if you do not receive our confirmation we ask you to contact us immediately. A cancellation fee will be due in the sum of £37.50* plus the cost of any goods and/or services already purchased on your behalf. The decision of the DVLA is final and non-negotiable. Please be aware that, if agreed, the refund may take around 28 days to reach your account from date of acceptance of cancellation.
Section D. Transfer / Assignment process
- The Company will always use its best efforts to process Transfers and Assignments of Registration Marks as quickly as possible but no guarantees of time frames for such processes can be given due to the chance of unforeseen circumstances. Therefore any time frames mentioned are typical times given for guide purposes only.
- The Purchaser agrees to supply any documentation and fees required by the Company in order to complete the Transfer/Assignment within 21 days unless otherwise agreed in writing, by an authorised representative of the Company. The Purchaser agrees that if they delay the Transfer/Assignment in any way without such prior arrangement then the Company will be entitled to reimbursement from them of any fees incurred as a direct result e.g. fees for placing the Registration Mark on Retention with the Government.
If the Purchaser is unable to supply documentation within the agreed time frame then it will be necessary for us to provide a Donor Vehicle service in order to place the Registration Mark on Retention with the Government. In this case, the Purchaser will be liable to pay £100* (inc. VAT) for the Donor Vehicle, an administration fee of £32.50* (inc. VAT), the standard Government Retention fee of £80, plus any subsequent Government fees relating to the future Transfer/Assignment of the Registration Mark onto the Purchaser’s chosen vehicle. Payment of these fees is due within 21 days unless otherwise agreed in writing, by an authorised representative of the Company.
If the Purchaser fails to make these payments within the agreed time frame, they will forfeit their rights to the Registration Mark and they will not be entitled to any reimbursement of the monies or any other costs incurred in its purchase. The Company reserves the right to assume ownership of the rights to the Registration Mark in this instance.
- The Purchaser understands that Registration Mark Transfers and Assignments can be refused or rejected by the Government for reasons beyond the control and responsibility of the Company and so, although rare, failures can occur. Provided the Purchaser has complied with all requests for information, monies and documentation in a timely fashion as required by the Company and can be shown to not having contributed to the failure of a Transfer or Assignment in any way, they will receive a full refund, should a Transfer or Assignment failure occur.
If a Purchaser has contributed to the failure then the Company will not be able to offer the Purchaser any refunds.
- It is the responsibility of the Purchaser to inform the Company in writing of the Purchaser's intention to Transfer or retain a Registration Mark presently assigned to their receiving vehicle, prior to the commencement of the Transfer and to submit the appropriate Transfer and administration fees. The Company cannot be held responsible for any loss due to the neglect of the Purchaser in this regard.
Section E. Liability for actions of third party suppliers
The Company acts in good faith throughout the transaction and is beholden to the Seller for supplying documentation, the Government for carrying out the Transfer with due diligence, the postal service for delivering documentation accurately and electronic communication systems. Consequently the Company cannot be held responsible for any disappointment due to failure of performance on the part of such third parties or systems, over which it has no control.
Section F. Government holding certificates
Where a Registration Mark is being held on an official certificate the Purchaser understands that:-
- Your chosen Registration Mark will initially be issued onto a Government holding certificate ready for Assignment to a vehicle.
- Amendments can be made to add or change the Nominee's name by applying to our offices and that the Purchaser should allow 21 days for processing such a change through our offices.
- Such certificates are valid for 10 years and require renewal before the expiry date printed thereon.
- The Company cannot be held responsible for any loss due to the failure of the Purchaser in assisting the Company to renew their certificate in time, with or without a reminder from the Company to do so.
- It is the Purchasers' responsibility to ensure the Company is kept up to date with the Purchasers' address and contact details so that they may be reminded of their renewal obligations.
- The Company cannot be held responsible for any losses incurred by the Purchaser if that Purchaser cannot be contacted or refuses to reply to correspondence sent them by the Company, in a timely fashion.
*All fees are subject to change from time to time.
Section G. Supply of acrylic (plastic) number plates.
- Once your order has been placed and payment secured, your plastic plates will be produced. As these are unique items built upon your request, we cannot offer a refund or exchange if you change your mind. By agreeing to proceed, you are waiving your rights under the Consumer Contract Regulations (formerly the Distance Selling Regulations). Your number plates will be made to strict legal guidelines with no exceptions.
- We are DVLA registered Number Plate Suppliers. To keep in line with the current legislation that covers manufacturers of number plates, we need to see an original utility bill (Telephone, water, gas or electricity) or a bank/ building society statement as proof of Identity before we can dispatch your plates. We will request sight of such a document in your postal confirmation.
- We will only supply the number plates when we have both i) notification from the DVLA of the registration’s successful Transfer or Retention to a holding certificate and ii) valid proof of identification as per item 2 above. We will then e-mail you with confirmation of dispatch.
- The Company is keen to uphold the laws relating to the correct display of vehicle Registration Marks and reminds Purchasers that they should not buy such marks with the intention of mis-spacing or misrepresenting them on their number plates. The Company will not entertain any claims by Purchasers for refunds or compensation due to confiscation of vehicle Registration Marks or fines by the Government for them breaking these laws. Similarly the Company can only supply road-legal number plates using the correct fonts and character spacing.
- The Company supplies the physical plastic ‘number’ or ‘licence plates’ as a separate customer option. The Purchaser agrees not to display these new licence plates until a replacement V5 registration document or other DVLA document bearing the new Registration Mark is received.
- All licence plates are dispatched using Royal Mail’s First Class postal service unless otherwise agreed. Royal Mail states that their service allows for delivery within 7 days of posting. The Company will send e-mail notification to the Purchaser on the day of dispatch.
- The Customer must contact the Company within 21 days of dispatch if the plates have not been delivered or if there is a problem with the plates. The Company will not be able to replace plates if notified after this time.
Section H. Government regulations
- 1. It is not possible to make a vehicle appear younger than it is by Transferring or Assigning a younger Registration Mark to it. For example an X prefixed registration cannot be Transferred or Assigned to a D prefixed registered vehicle. Our website alerts all Purchasers to this fact and explains the Transfer regulations for each mark viewed, to help prevent mistakes being made by Purchasers. All Purchasers should consult the registration documents for their vehicle if they are not sure when it was first registered. The first registration date of imported vehicles is classed as the date of manufacture. The Company cannot be held responsible for any loss due to the failure of the Purchaser to check the date of manufacture or first registration of the vehicle in order to determine its eligibility to display a date-restricted Registration Mark.
- Transfers or Assignments will not be allowed by the Government if the identity or age of the receiving vehicle is unclear from the registration and chassis records or to or from Q registered cars.
- Transfer fees will apply should you choose to Transfer or Retain your Registration Mark in the future. Presently the DVLA fee for vehicle-to-vehicle Transfers is £80 and the Retention fee from a vehicle onto a certificate is £80 (the fee for the next Assignment). All Transfer or Assignment fees must be paid at the time of placing your offer to purchase the rights to any Registration Mark, in accordance with the rules and conditions of the DVLA Cherished Transfer Scheme.
- Vehicles must be of a type, which has to have an MoT or Goods Vehicle Test (GVT) certificate. Non-testable vehicles such as tractors, steamrollers and milk floats for example, are outside the scope of the DVLA Cherished Transfer Scheme. Only testable vehicles can participate in Transfers and Retentions (if required due to the age or type of vehicle). The Company cannot be held responsible for refunds or failures if you purchase the rights to any Registration Mark for a vehicle, which cannot be included in the DVLA Cherished Transfer Scheme.
- Any eligible vehicle wishing to receive a new Registration Mark must be taxed in accordance with Government regulations at the time of Transfer. Un-taxed vehicles will not be able to receive a new Mark unless they are tax exempt or have a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) in force at the time of the application to assign.
Section I. Payment by Finance
- We offer finance options on selected items and your application must be completed on-line through our finance partner “afforditNOW”.
Finance is provided by afforditNOW, which offers a suite of products offered by Paybreak Ltd, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. PayBreak Limited is a UK registered company, registration number 7440512 with registered offices at Floor 1, The Bloc, Ashley Road, Altrincham, WA14 2DW
Visit us at: www.afforditNOW.com
Contact: 03333-444-224 E Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you choose to pay by finance, we can only send items to the applicant at the address completed on the finance application. By proceeding to apply for finance you agree that the applicant has also read, understood and agrees to our general terms and conditions.
- We reserve the right to cancel an application if an incorrect finance deal has been offered (as a result of a human or technical error).
By applying to pay by finance you understand that; - Our finance partner is afforditNOW and your application and any resulting contract for finance is between you and afforditNOW. - afforditNOW will decide whether your application is approved or not.
To be eligible for finance you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a UK bank account, and be able to set up direct debits
- Be a UK resident, with at least 3 years' continual address history
- Be in full time employment, unless retired or a house person with a spouse or civil partner in full time employment
- Monthly payments will be paid by direct debit from your personal bank account. Usually the first payment will be due a month after the date of your loan usually being the 1st of each month with Paybreak Ltd and after the registration has been successfully Transferred or Retained to a holding certificate. Further monthly payments will be due every month for the length of your term, normally on the first day of the month.
- You can settle your finance agreement with AfforditNOW at any time. Your settlement figure will be calculated in line with the Consumer Credit Act 1974. You should contact AfforditNOW for your settlement figure.
- Plates4less/VRM Swansea Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) with firm reference number 734204
Section J. Other
- All Registration Marks are subject to availability and we only agree to supply a Registration Mark after we have personally checked full availability.
- The contract is between the Company and the Purchaser where the Company agrees to acquire a vehicle Registration Mark as an agent for the Purchaser. For this reason the holding certificate will list the Company name and address. Your contract with us means we are acquiring the rights to the Registration Mark for you, the Purchaser. We are not able to change the address on the certificate initially but once the Mark has been assigned to a vehicle, our name and address will be on no future documentation.
- If you are planning to assign the Registration Mark to a vehicle not owned/registered by you, we recommend that, unless you are gifting it to the registered keeper of the said vehicle, you draw up a contract to secure or clarify ownership of the Mark. Once a Mark is on a vehicle, unless there is a contract to prove otherwise, the Mark will become the possession of the registered keeper and the Purchaser will lose all rights to that Mark.
- The Purchaser must have permission from the registered Keeper of the vehicle to which the Registration Mark is to be assigned for the Mark to be changed. This relates especially to leased vehicles or those owned by finance companies. The Company cannot be held accountable if the Purchaser fails to get adequate permission from the Keeper.
- The Company will always provide a full refund to Purchasers who, through no fault on their part suffer a failed purchase, Transfer or Assignment. However the Company's liability will be limited to this full refund and not extended to claims for damages, interest on monies lodged with us, consequential loss, expenses, or other disappointment.
- In the event that any of the Company's terms and conditions of business is rendered unenforceable or invalid in a British court of law then this alone will not affect the validity or enforcement of the remaining terms and conditions.
- The Purchaser understands and agrees that they are to be bound by the rules and provisions of the DVLA Cherished Transfer Scheme.
- The Company reserves the right to make any refund payments using the same method that the payments were originally made, by the Purchaser.
- Where the payment to be refunded originates from an overseas source (i.e. outside the British Isles), then for security and to provide compliance with Anti-money Laundering recommendations, the Company reserves the right to make the refund by way of a cheque which can be deposited in a British bank account.
- For some Registration Marks there will be two Transfer options for the Purchaser to choose from at two different prices. The Purchaser understands that should they choose the more expensive Done-For-You Transfer option, they are not eligible for a refund should they subsequently change their mind and require the less expensive Self Transfer option. This is due to the fact that a substantial amount of the administrative work is carried out as soon as the Purchaser’s instructions are received.
- The Company reserves the right to charge a fee to cover its own banking and administration costs, should a cheque payment not clear upon first time presentation to the issuing bank. Presently this fee is £12.50* but this is subject to change at any time, in accordance with our costs.
- On rare occasions, you may be required to communicate with us or the DVLA in writing. By proceeding with your purchase you agree to either fulfil this obligation or to nominate somebody else to do so on your behalf.
- We are legally bound to protect our staff from harassment and abuse and any behaviour which may cause them alarm or distress. We therefore reserve the right to cancel our contract with, and refuse to have dealings with, any Purchaser who is abusive or aggressive towards our staff either verbally or in writing.
Section K. Identity protection and customer security
- In order to complete Transfers/Assignments and produce number plates the Company will require documents containing personal information. This information will only be used to conduct the business ordered by the Purchaser unless otherwise stated and agreed.
- Where the Purchaser wishes supply of a Registration Mark to be on a Government certificate for later Transfer or Assignment, the Purchaser understands and agrees that the Seller has a right to anonymity and that the Company cannot supply documents containing personal information of other parties at any time. Therefore, if the Purchaser requires supply of rights on such Government holding certificates, which are privately owned, it may be necessary for the Company to arrange for the documents to undergo a Government process, which involves additional fees and processing times to remove this personal ownership information. This will all be fully explained to the Purchaser at the time of placing the order.
- To preserve customer security we will normally only communicate with the named Purchaser given to us at the point of placing an order. However, if the Purchaser and Cardholder (making the payment for the order) are different, then we will require written confirmation from the Cardholder that they are happy for us to work with the Purchaser i.e. that the Purchaser is acting with their full consent. A document will be sent to the Cardholder to confirm this.
- We are able to deliver gift certificates and number plates to alternative addresses provided that this is specified during the order process by the Purchaser and supported by the Cardholder (if a different person).
- We can also liaise directly with vehicle dealers if that option is selected and the Purchaser/Cardholder is therefore giving us that instruction and authority to do so.
Section L. Surprise Gift Services and delivery limitations
If you have asked for your purchase to be kept a secret from the recipient of the Registration Mark then we will do whatever we can to preserve the surprise by, for example, sending items to alternative addresses and/or in plain envelopes with only our return address on display. We cannot be held responsible if:-
- The recipient of the surprise opens mail not intended for, or addressed to them personally.
- The recipient hears, reads, or answers a phone call or email intended for the Purchaser.
- The recipient shares any bank, payment card, building society or any other payment account, used by the Purchaser to make the purchase.
- The recipient opens any mail from the DVLA intended for the keeper of the vehicle bearing the new Registration Mark, even if the recipient is the keeper of the vehicle. Once the Transfer/Assignment is formally lodged with the DVLA then their communications with the keeper of the vehicle cannot be stopped, redirected, or kept secret.
Please do not order any of our gift services unless you feel confident that we can keep your secret after reading the above conditions.
You are reminded that your statutory rights are not affected in any way by our terms and conditions.
Customer Complaint Procedure
If you require clarification for any aspect of your purchase or have any queries, these can be addressed immediately over the telephone, during office opening hours, where our fully trained customer advisors will do their best to help you and resolve any problems.
If you are still not satisfied after speaking to us, we ask that you make a formal complaint in writing, either by e-mail or letter, for investigation. Please give us the main points of your case as well as the Registration Mark and the names of any staff you have already dealt with. The formal complaint will be dealt with by a Manager or senior member of staff. Our written responses will include point by point coverage of your complaint as well as listing the outcomes of any internal investigations necessary and any actions taken.
We aim to acknowledge formal complaints within 24 hours of receipt, Monday to Friday, and to respond within 10 working days. In complex cases, we will ensure updates are sent every 10 working days until resolution.
In the unlikely event that we are unable to resolve the case to your satisfaction, we reserve the right to employ the services of an independent mediator or arbitrator to assist us.
The e-mail address for formal complaints is email@example.com and our postal address is: VRM Swansea Ltd., PO Box 465, Swansea, SA1 8YN.
* All fees are subject to change from time to time.