How Do I Sell My Private Number Plate For Free?
With us its completely Free and Easy to advertise and sell your personal registration mark. The buyer pays our costs and our specialist negotiators work to get you the best possible price.
Let us do everything for you and protect you from time-wasters and fraud. We will advertise your plate, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, until it’s sold! We work harder….. and For Less than other agents, meaning You Get More ….and your buyer gets Great Value for Money! With the Best Reviews in our industry and a Professional Reputation built over 20+ years, let our experts realise the true value of your private plate and transfer it safely to its next owner.
Why choose us to Sell My Private Number Plate?
You keep More Money
Easier to Sell and Buy
Widest Advert Reach
Sell with Confidence
Can I Sell My Private Number Plate?
In most cases you can usually sell your private number plate to someone else. If you currently have a private number plate (on a vehicle or retention certificate), you will probably be eligible to sell or transfer your registration under the government ‘Cherished Registration Mark Transfer Scheme’. You may not have purchased it as a private plate, but it may still have a value to a buyer.
Certain criteria and Government regulations must be met in order to participate in the scheme.
My registration is on my vehicle:
Check that your Vehicle Registration Document (V5) does not say 'Non-transferable registration mark'. If it does, then unfortunately it cannot be sold or transferred.
All vehicles involved must have road tax or be tax-exempt, have a valid MOT (if old enough) and be easily identifiable from their chassis numbers. You must be the Keeper of the vehicle or be acting with the complete consent of the Keeper.
My vehicle registration is held on a Government certificate:
If you intend on selling a private number plate that is on retention, your V750 ‘Certificate of Entitlement’ or V778 ‘Retention Document’ must be within its expiry date and you must be recorded as the Grantee, the Purchaser or be acting with the complete consent of the Grantee or Purchaser.
If you are listing the registration on behalf of the legal owner (ie the Keeper of the vehicle, or the Grantee/Purchaser listed on the certificate) we will be required to speak to them to confirm that they are happy to sell the registration in the event of a sale.
Our promises to you are that:
- Your number plate will be advertised for free until it's sold, provided you keep reviewing your advert (you are requested to do so every 3 months, or else it will expire)
- You will pay no sales commission to us
- Your registration mark will receive national exposure 24/7.
- We will use our very best endeavours to secure a sale as soon as possible
- We will contact you as soon as any reasonable offer or enquiry is made
- We will conduct the entire transfer negotiations for you, when your buyer is found
- You will receive your funds as soon as the transfer is complete
- Your personal details will be kept secure at all times and not shared
What we expect from you:
- We hope you will instruct us to act in the sale, only if you have full authority to do so
- We need you to tell us immediately, if you wish to take your registration number off sale or change your mind, for any reason
- We will expect you to stay closely in touch with us once your sale is agreed, sending us the correctly signed documents, quickly and securely, to enable us to complete your sale and transfer your proceeds.
FAQ - More Questions?
Here's what you need to know...
How much is my private plate worth?
Pricing your number plate is a very personal matter as ultimately the price you set is the price that you are happy to receive. If you are unsure of a value for your registration, you could search for similar registrations on our website and see how much they are going for.
- We will never sell your registration number for less that it’s really worth and we will warn you if we think your price is too low
- We will also let you know if we feel your selling price is too high and unlikely to achieve a sale from our experience
When looking at similar registrations, you may wish to price yours slightly less than similar registrations to help give you the edge to sell your registration quicker. Alternatively, if you are not in a hurry, you may wish to price yours higher and reduce the price over time, to generate more interest. It is also worth noting that buyers often wish to make offers on private plates, so you may like to leave room for negotiations in your pricing.
Can you sell a car with a private number plate?
Yes, you can sell your vehicle with your private number plate still assigned to it, but you will lose all future rights to the registration mark.
There are no additional paperwork exercises to complete if you wish to do this and it is a particularly good idea if the plate is vehicle related and and it helps you to get a sale.
If you wish to keep the rights to the registration mark, then you must remove it from the vehicle and get a new V5 before transferring the vehicle ownership to the buyer. You can do this by retaining or transferring the registration mark with DVLA.
Can I Sell My Number Plate Back To The DVLA?
No, unfortunately you cannot sell your private number plate back to the DVLA. The DVLA will only sell new number plates and cherished registrations that have never been issued to a vehicle.
How long will my personalised number plate take to sell?
Some private plates can sell quicker than others. The two most important factors in selling any personal plates within a reasonable time are its price and its desirability. Choose a realistic price, do not over-value it, and assess the changing conditions in the registration marketplace (and the wider UK economy) and respond accordingly. Your number plate will be constantly advertised and marketed by us for free until it is sold... we will contact you as soon as any reasonable offer is made.
Can I sell my number plate privately?
Yes, you can also choose to list your number plate privately and then ask us to get involved once you have found a buyer. This gives you the confidence of having a professional team of experts working for you at the crucial time in the sales process. We will agree a fee for our sales administration service from your sales proceeds with you.
How can I be sure my information is kept safely and securely?
For Data Protection purposes we are registered with and regulated by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO no. Z9704649) and authorised by the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority FRN : 734204) to offer consumer finance. We are also DVLA registered number plate suppliers (supplier no: 3166).
How much will you add on to my asking price?
Unlike many other firms, we will not charge you (the seller) to list and sell your registration mark through us, provided you act in an honest and timely manner throughout the sales process. We believe it is important to both buyers and sellers that the prices advertised on our website offer good value for money. We do have to apply a service fee, which will be paid by the buyer, to cover our administrative work and our sales negotiation expertise. Our fee is amongst the lowest in our industry.
Service Fee - this provides the assurance of a secure sale, a successful and speedy transfer of the registration mark, completion of all paperwork, and secure handling of all monies involved, by experienced personnel at our offices here in Swansea, to give you and the buyer, absolute peace of mind.
Department for Transport (DFT) transfer fee - This is the DVLA charge for changing the details of the vehicle(s) involved in the transfer and updating their documents. It is presently £80. If your registration mark is on a certificate in your name and the buyer wishes to keep it on a new certificate, in their own name, then they will need to pay two DFT fees and we will shield your details from the buyer during the changeover.
We will advertise and sell your private plate for free on our website by displaying the following price structure and price breakdown to prospective buyers:
Base price - The Base Price is made up of your selling price (the amount you require upon sale of your registration) and our sales administration service charge.
Advertised price - When the buyer clicks to view your registration mark, they will be presented with a price breakdown, including the Department for Transport transfer fee and any VAT.
We are the only registration agent who allows clients to preview their advertisement (and therefore asking price) prior to publication. This means that you can fine tune your asking price to ensure that it is competitive.
Terms and conditions of using our seller service
- I am at least 18 years of age and am the owner, or am acting with the full knowledge and consent of the owner(s), of the rights to the vehicle registration marks added by me to my sellers’ account.
- VRM Swansea/Plates4less reserves the right not to publish my items, or to withdraw them from sale at any time.
- I will be advised of all reasonable offers to purchase my mark(s) and that once I have accepted such an offer I will be compelled by law to complete the contracted sale by supplying the necessary signed documents in a timely fashion.
- Upon receiving a contact from VRM Swansea/Plates4Less advising me of a party expressing interest in my registration number, I will not attempt to increase the price of the mark at any point whilst the enquiry is still active i.e. within 14 days of first contact.
- It is my duty to inform VRM Swansea/Plates4less in a timely fashion of any changes to the price and availability of the mark(s) I am advertising. If I fail to do this and VRM Swansea/Plates4less receive an enquiry for my registration, I will be obliged to go ahead at the current asking price. If I decide to increase my price once I have been notified that someone is interested in my registration then I understand that my registration mark will be removed from sale and I will not be able to list any future registrations for sale through VRM Swansea/Plates4less. This is in order to preserve buyers' confidence and the goodwill and good-standing of the company in the industry.
- It is my duty to inform VRM Swansea/Plates4less if the registration mark(s) is the property of a VAT-registered person or business so that the correct taxation may be applied before any offer for sale is accepted. If such notification is received after the sale deal is struck but before I receive my funds then I understand that the subsequent VAT liability will be taken from the balance due to me before the monies are transferred. If I completely fail to advise VRM Swansea /Plates4less of the correct liability, then I will make good the VAT payment to HM Revenue and Customs on their behalf, in a timely fashion, thereby preserving their margins and exonerating them of any error.
- VRM Swansea/Plates4less will contact me from time to time to ensure my details are accurate and up to date. If I fail to reply to such emails or calls then the offer of free advertising will be withdrawn without further notice.
- VRM Swansea/Plates4less will not entertain any claims for loss, especially those due to the failure of any buyer to perform their side of the contract, those caused by the failure of any electrical or telecommunications equipment, or those that are the result of the government refusing the registration mark’s transfer/assignment for any reason.
- I will promptly make good any claim for losses suffered by VRM Swansea/Plates4less should I change my mind or fail to supply the registration(s) after accepting a contractual offer and agreeing to sell my registration mark(s) through them. (See our Cost and Loss recovery fees detailed below.)
- Upon confirmation from VRM Swansea/Plates4Less that a sale has been achieved at my agreed price, I will supply proof of entitlement within 7 days and valid original documentation for the transfer within 3 weeks (unless otherwise agreed).
- It is my responsibility to carry out the instructions of the vehicle licensing authority (DVLA) and, if required, to arrange for new number plates to be manufactured and displayed on my vehicle, in compliance with the law.
- It is my responsibility to advise my vehicle insurers of any change to my vehicle registration mark once the sale and transfer is completed.
- I will normally be paid by way of Company cheque once VRM Swansea/Plates4Less has been advised by the DVLA that the transfer or assignment to the new owner has been successfully completed.
- If VRM Swansea/Plates4Less suspects that I am being dishonest or uncooperative in any way then the Company reserves the right to remove from their listing any marks which I have for sale before advising its trusted business associates of their experiences with me.
- This is a completely free sellers service provided that I keep my side of the agreement and comply with the conditions mentioned above and within the VRM Swansea/Plates4less website.
|Seller's asking price||Cost and Loss recovery fee (including VAT)|
|£0 - £500||£120|
|£501 - £1,000||£210|
|Fees must be paid within 14 days of notification from us.|