Smooth, Quick and Easy - Since 1997!
Prefer to talk? 01792 477316
Request Assistance Sales After Sales
We love to help people find and buy or sell private number plates the easy way

Customer Focus: Ideas for Sarah J Gibson

S414 RAH Sarah
J12 SJG January 12th + Initials
SA12 AHG Sarah Gibson
M155 SJG Miss Sarah J Gibson
PG04 SJG Partner Plates
SJG 86 Initials + year of birth
SG04 PRG Partner Plates
D064 SJG Dog Lover
0005 SJG Sarah J Gibson
K155 SJG Kiss SJG

Some of our most popular searches

Quick Links

How do I Buy a Private Number Plate?

DVLA Number Plates, also known as DVLA registrations, can be purchased and used on DVLA registered vehicles. Some types of DVLA number plate, such as those registered before 1963 or in Northern Ireland, allow you to hide the age of a vehicle. Many people use DVLA registrations to display their name, initials, hobbies, interests, vehicle model or occupation.

The DVLA & VRM Plates4less Swansea

As well as issuing driving licences and vehicle registration certificates, the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) is the government body responsible for assigning, transferring and retaining personalised number plates in the UK. They also ensure that potentially rude or offensive number plates are kept out of circulation. In keeping the records of over 48 million drivers, the DVLA also facilitates the taxing of vehicles suitable for road use. Previously called the DVLC (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre), the DVLA is an agency of the Department of Transport. It used to have several offices throughout the country but has since consolidated them into a single headquarters here in Swansea.

Assigning (moving a registration mark from a certificate to a vehicle)

If you hold a private registration mark on either a V750 Certificate of Entitlement or a V778 Certificate of Retention and would like to display your registration mark on your vehicle, you will need to submit your application to the DVLA here in Swansea with your V5C Registration Certificate.

You may wish to attempt the assignment using the DVLA's online system. However, this is not a guaranteed service and only approximately 60% of online applications are currently successful.

Transferring (moving a registration mark from one vehicle to another)

When you wish to transfer your private registration mark to another vehicle you will need to complete a V317 form and send your application to the DVLA along with the V5C Registration Certificates for both vehicles and the relevant fee.

If both vehicles are registered to the same person, you may wish to first retain the registration mark, then assign it to the second vehicle using the DVLA's online system. However, please bear in mind that this is not a guaranteed service.

Retaining (moving a registration mark from a vehicle to a certificate)

The DVLA Number Plates / Vehicle Registration Marks retention scheme enables the keeper of a vehicle to remove its registration mark and hold it on a certificate for a period of up to 10 years at a time. The certificate can then be renewed every 10 years until you are ready to use it on a vehicle. Presently there is no government charge for renewing the rights to a registration mark once it is on a 10 year retention certificate.

To keep the rights to a private registration mark on a certificate (separate to a vehicle) you will need to complete a V317 form and send your application to the DVLA here in Swansea along with the V5C Registration Certificate and the relevant fee.

You may wish to attempt the retention using the DVLA's online system. However, please be aware that this is not a guaranteed service.

Important tip: If you are planning to sell your vehicle which has a personalised registration mark, please remember if you don't move it ... You'll lose it! If you sell or hand over your vehicle before you have moved the private registration off, either onto another vehicle or onto a V778 retention certificate, ownership of the registration will pass to the new registered keeper of the vehicle. The movement is confirmed only once you have received a new V5C for the vehicle with a replacement registration number, not before!

Cheapest Number Plates - The Cover Plate Hotlist

Popular Areas

E-Transfer Gateway

If you have chosen our Done-for-You service and have received your confirmation letter, you may wish to submit your V5 information via our E-Transfer Gateway.


Every week we will be releasing new articles to entertain and enlighten all you...

Sell Your Private Number Plate for FREE!

We offer a free seller's service. We will show your registration to thousands of buyers

Private Plate Finance

Payl8r Finance
  • 0% Deposit finance
  • No obligation
  • No application fee
Learn More

Help for Good Causes

Shop with us and help support these charities whose good works positively affect thousands of us and our families, every year

Plates4Less Supports Ty Hafan
Plates4Less Supports Macmillan Nurses
Plates4Less Supports Alzheimer's Society
Plates4Less Supports Marie Curie Cancer Care
Plates4Less Supports Maggies
Plates4Less Supports The NSPCC
Plates4Less Supports Wales Air Ambulance
Plates4Less Supports Cancer Research UK
Plates4Less Supports the Royal National Lifeboat Institute
Plates4Less Supports the British Heart Foundation
Plates4Less Supports St John Ambulance Cymru
Plates4Less Supports prostate cancer uk
Plates4Less Supports versus arthritis

What people are saying about Plates4less