At the moment176active visitors on site

Prefer to talk?
01792 477316

Testimonial: Linda Ideas Sally Sally Sally


Thank you for choosing VRM Swansea/ Plates4less. We understand that buying and selling private number plates can be complicated so we have answered many of the frequently asked questions below. If you can't find an answer to your question or would like to contact us for an update on your order, you can do so by filling in the form at the bottom of this page and we will strive to get back to you as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours on weekdays).

If you require urgent assistance please don't hesitate to call us on 01792 477316.

— I've included plastic plates in my order - what identification do I need to send to you? Show / Hide — It is a legal requirement that we see some proof of identification from the purchaser (i.e. the person who placed the order, even if it is for someone else) prior to the release of the number plates. This proof of identity needs to be in the form of a utility bill or bank statement. I.D will be returned to you once we have recorded that we have seen it.
Some examples of what we can accept are:
*Water/electricity/gas bill
*Landline (not mobile) telephone bill
*Bank statement
*Council tax bill
This was explained and agreed to at the point of placing your order.
— I have chosen a Done-For-You Transfer transfer - what documents do I need to send to you? Show / Hide — In order for us to complete your transfer, we will need;
*Original V5 registered keeper's document (log book)
You will receive a sales confirmation including a self addressed envelope for return of your vehicle documents. We advise that you make a copy of these documents for your own records before you send them in to us.

Please note: While we are able to send most new vehicle documents to you, after the mark has been assigned, the DVLA will only send the V5 registered keepers document (log book) directly to the registered keeper at the address written in the log book. Please consider this if you are applying to assign the registration mark as a surprise gift.
— How long will it be before I can put my plates on my vehicle? Show / Hide — Do not display your plates on your vehicle until your transfer is complete.
— If you have ordered the self transfer, it takes an average of 5 — 10 days to get the V750 certificate of entitlement to you. You will then need to apply to the DVLA to assign the mark via the post by sending them the certificate along with the receiving vehicle's documents.
— If you opted for the Done-For-You Transfer, it generally takes between 2 and 3 weeks for us to complete the transfer from the date that we receive your vehicle documents (unless you were instructed otherwise).

Please note that all time scales are average, and for guideline purposes only.
— I have received my number plates when can I put them on my vehicle? Show / Hide Please do not display your new plates on your vehicle until the transfer has been completed and you have received the new V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate (the 'logbook') showing the new registration. — I have received my new V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate (the 'logbook') when will I receive my MOT certificate? Show / Hide You will not a receive a replacement MOT certificate. Your current MOT certificate will remain valid until the expiry date. Your MOT and road tax records will be updated electronically. Once you have received your new V5C document, you will know that the transfer has been completed and you can affix the new number plates to your vehicle. — How can I change the nominee name on my V750 certificate of entitlement? Show / Hide — If you need to change the nominee on your V750, then you will need to send us your certificate with the new nominee's details entered in section 2 of the document.
We will arrange the name change for you.
— Since submitting documents, a new V5 in the standard registration has arrived. Please advise Show / Hide — If you have sent your documents to us for transfer with a V5C/2 new keeper's supplement and have since received a new log book in your standard registration mark, then please let us know so that we can check how far along your transfer is. You can do this via our query page below. We may need you to send it in to us, as the DVLA needs the most recent keeper's document for a vehicle in order to complete a transfer. — Do I need to sign my V5 registered keeper's document (log book)? Show / Hide Unless you need to change the name and/or address on your V5 document, then there is no need to sign anything. Just send the whole thing in as it is. — Can I cancel or exchange my registration mark? Show / Hide If you have purchased a previously un-issued registration mark (you are the first owner), you can apply to cancel your purchase within 10 days of the initial order date. Ultimately, the DVLA will consider and decide the outcome of your application and we cannot guarantee that it will be successful.
Once 10 days have passed, the DVLA will not consider applications to cancel and if you have changed your mind, your only remedy will be to offer the registration mark for sale.
Initial applications must be received in writing (by email to or by post to our normal address). We will then send you the necessary documentation which we need to be returned within 10 days of the initial order date.
It can take up to 20 days to receive a response so please refrain from contacting us until this time has lapsed.
Please note: Only the purchaser can apply for a cancellation; we cannot correspond with the nominee.

Enquiry Form.

Registration Mark
* Registration mark that you are buying (or Selling)
Are you the buyer or the seller? Buyer   Seller *
Your Full Name
Your Telephone Number
Your Email Address
Prefered Contact Method Email  Telephone  Either *
Query Type *
Your Enquiry
   Change image
Please type the text from the Captcha above into the box below.
TrustPilot Private NumberPlates Swansea Home plates4less recycle wherever possible This is a carbon neutral website Members of the Federation of Small Business EV SSL Certificates Pay securely online with sagepay Number Plates Finance. Forest Stewardship Council (

Important Private Number plates and DVLA Information

DVLA is the government agency responsible for all regulatory matters related to the issue and display of private number plates and car registrations in the UK. The DVLA acronym means Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency and its head quarters are here in Swansea from where it controls all UK private registration plates. It was formerly called the DVLC standing for Driver and Vehicle Licensing Centre but this title was changed in 1990 and so is now obsolete. In Northern Ireland the government agency responsible for controlling and issuing Northern Ireland format (commonly known as Irish) registrations was the DVA, this is an acronym meaning the Driver Vehicle Agency.
DVLA is a registered trade mark of the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency. We liaise with the agency on a daily basis but VRM Swansea Plates4less is in no way affiliated to the DVLA or DVLA Personalised Registrations.
All personalised number plates and personal registration marks mentioned in this site are British i.e. issued and controlled by the DVLA Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency here in Swansea. They are only for display on vehicles registered in the UK and Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland format registrations are commonly known as 'Irish' registrations prior to the separation of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Any reference to 'Irish' registrations on this page relate to registration marks now known as 'Northern Ireland format' registrations.

Personal Number plates : Follow the law
As responsible personalised number plates agents we feel it is important that our visitors and customers understand the law regarding the supply and display of cherished number plates as they are valuable assets and should be protected. It was once possible to buy cheap number plates from any private car numberplates maker without any evidence of your entitlement to the car registration numbers. These days you need to provide the private registration plates manufacturer with a V948 number plate authorisation certificate which is issued by the DVLA only after your keeper’s entitlement has been checked. Your numberplates are an important identifying feature of your vehicle and can be cloned to provide a false identity to any vehicle for those engaged in vehicle related crime. There are now many stories that tell of speeding fines collected in areas of the UK where car owners have never visited, due to the display of duplicate number plates  by criminals.

The law on the display of vehicle registration numbers is now very strict and personal number plates owners may not use decorative or fancy fonts. Letters and numbers must be of the correct size, style and spacing with private registration plates also conforming to strict British Standards in their materials and manufacture. To break the law on the manufacture and display means you risk having your entitlement to your cherished registration plates permanently withdrawn and face a substantial fine of up to £1000. Incorrectly displayed private plates or personalised reg marks will be enough to make your vehicle fail its MOT test.

 VRM Swansea Plates4less is a DVLA registered number plate supplier (supplier no: 3166) and a recognised reseller of DVLA Personalised registrations. In recognition of this fact we only supply fully road legal number plates. DVLA, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, DVA NI Driver and Vehicle Agency Northern Ireland, are registered trademarks

See also: Private Car Registrations | Registration Numbers | Registration Plates | Northern Ireland Format Number Plates | Private Number Plates