We always try to help our customers to the best of our abilities. However, when it comes to sourcing a specific registration mark, there are restrictions and limitations that you need to be aware of.
To help you, we have written a guide which will explain what is involved
Why have we been asked to help find a number plate?
- - “I used to have this registration on my car in my teens - I would love to have it back!”
- - “I met someone special whilst on holiday, but all I can remember is their number plate!”
- - “My father had this car registration, but the vehicle was scrapped.”
- - “My daughter told me that her friend bought this registration, can I have something similar?”
- - “This person always parks on my street and I think they scratched my car.”
- - “I want a registration that spells my name perfectly with my lucky number, nothing else will do”
There are two main things that you need to consider when looking to source a specific registration mark:
Firstly, all registrations issued by the Department for Transport follow specific formats. You can find information on this here. If a registration that you want does not follow a set format that has been used by the licensing authority, it will not be available.
Secondly, you can only purchase a registration if it is available for sale. Data Protection laws ensure that no one can access an individual’s vehicle data without their express permission and so unless someone has listed their registration for sale, it is unavailable. We update our website daily to ensure that we have the most comprehensive list of available registrations possible.
You may find that some companies will offer to source a registration mark for a finder’s fee. There is no legal way to find the whereabouts of vehicle registration marks unless you have a law enforcement reason for checking the DVLA database.
Checking the data base for any other reason is illegal under the GDPR laws and many people (including police officers) have been convicted for locating and contacting the owners of registration marks to try to buy them. We recommend that you do not trust these companies.
If you only want one specific registration mark that we have told is likely to exist, but that is not currently on the market, then we suggest that you wait and see if the owner decides to list sell the registration in the future.
We will also be more than happy to help you with some alternatives or ideas - just call us on 01792 477316 and see what we can do for you!